Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities
This policy is intended to meet the requirements of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA). Kotsovos Restaurants Ltd. understands that obligations under the AODA and its accessibility standards do not substitute or limit its obligations under the Ontario Human Rights Code or obligations to people with disabilities under any other law.
Kotsovos Restaurants Ltd. is committed to excellence in serving all guests including people with disabilities. Kotsovos Restaurants Ltd. is also committed to providing accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process and to employees.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Develop and implement policies, practices and procedures to ensure the accessible provision of goods and services to persons with a disability
- Develop and include AODA in orientation training
- File Accessibility Reports as required under section 14 of the Act
- Conduct a thorough review of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disability Policy at least annually
- Inform staff of their responsibilities and provide on the job training on how to handle guests with disabilities
- Provide resources and accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities
- Comply with this policy and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act
Guidelines – Accessibility Standards for Customer Service
Regulation 429/07, this section addresses the following:
- The Provision of Goods and Services to Persons with Disabilities;
- The Use of Assistive Devices
- The Use of Service Animals
- The Use of Support Persons
- Notice of Service Disruptions
The Provision of Goods and Services to Persons with Disabilities
Kotsovos Restaurants Ltd. will make every reasonable effort to ensure that its policies, practices and procedures are consistent with the principles of dignity, independence, integration and equal opportunity by:
- ensuring that all guests receive the same value and quality;
- allowing clients with disabilities to do things in their own ways, at their own pace when accessing our restaurant as long as this does not present a safety risk;
- using alternative methods when possible to ensure that guests with disabilities have access to the same services, in the same place and in a similar manner;
- considering individual needs when providing goods and services; and
- communicating in a manner that takes into account the guest’s disability.
Kotsovos Restaurants Ltd. is committed to meeting the communication needs of people with disabilities. When requested, we will consult with people with disabilities to determine their information and communication needs.
Persons with disabilities may use their own assistive devices as required when accessing services provided by Kotsovos Restaurants Ltd.
In cases where the assistive device presents a safety concern or where accessibility might be an issue, other reasonable measures will be used to ensure the access of the restaurant and/or patio (if applicable).
A guest with a disability that is accompanied by a service animal will be allowed access to premises that are open to the public unless otherwise excluded by law.
- If a service animal is excluded by law, Kotsovos Restaurants Ltd. will explain why the service animal is prohibited and offer alternative methods to enable the person with a disability to access to the restaurant and/or patio, when possible.
Recognizing a Service Animal:
- If it is not readily apparent that the animal is being used by the guest for reasons relating to their disability, Kotsovos Restaurants Ltd. may request verification from the guest. Verification may include a letter from a physician, nurse, audiologist, speech-pathologist, chiropractor, occupational therapist, optometrist, or mental health therapist confirming that the person requires the animal for reasons related to the disability.
Care and Control of the Animal:
- The guest that is accompanied by a service animal is responsible for maintaining care and control of the animal at all times. Kotsovos Restaurants Ltd. is not required to provide care or food for the service animal. Staff members should not distract, touch, or offer treats to the animal that is on official duty to provide assistance to their owner with a disability.
If a guest with a disability is accompanied by a support person, Kotsovos Restaurants Ltd. will ensure that both persons are allowed to enter the premises together and that the guest is not prevented from having access to the support person.
In situations where confidential information might be discussed, consent will be obtained from the guest, prior to any such conversation.
In certain cases, Kotsovos Restaurants Ltd. may require a person with disability to be accompanied by a support person for the health or safety reasons of:
- the person with a disability
- others on the premises
Before making a decision, Tomasso’s will:
- consult with the person with a disability to understand their needs
- consider health or safety reasons based on available evidence
- determine if there is no other reasonable way to protect the health or safety of the person or others on the premises
Notice of Disruptions in Service
Service disruptions may occur due to reasons that may or may not be within the control or knowledge of Kotsovos Restaurants Ltd. In the event of any temporary disruptions to facilities or services that guests with disabilities rely on to access or use Kotsovos Restaurants Ltd. facility, reasonable efforts will be made to provide advance notice. In some circumstances such as in the situation of unplanned temporary disruptions, advance notice may not be possible.
In the event that a notification needs to be posted the following information will be included unless it is not readily available or known:
- services that are disrupted or unavailable
- reason for the disruption
- anticipated duration
- a description of alternative services or options
When disruptions occur Kotsovos Restaurants Ltd. will provide notice by posting notice on the front doors.
Information and Communications
Accessible Websites and Web Content:
- Should Kotsovos Restaurants Ltd. launch a new internet website or significantly refresh an existing internet website, we will ensure that the website and all content that has been posted since January 1, 2012 will confirm with WCAG 2.0, Level A.
Multi-Year Accessibility Plan:
- Tomasso’s has established and implemented a multi-year accessibility plan which is available on upon request. The purpose of this document is to outline the company’s strategy to prevent and remove barriers. This plan is reviewed and updated every five (5) years. Accessible format of the plan is available upon request.
Training will be provided to:
- all employees who deal with the public or other applicable third parties that act on behalf of Kotsovos Restaurants Ltd.; and,
- those who are involved in the development and approval of customer service policies, practices and procedures.
Record of Training:
Kotsovos Restaurants Ltd. will keep a record of training that includes the dates training was provided and the number of employees who attended the training.